Factors in Breast Augmentation Candidacy
Breast augmentation is one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures, but it is not ideal for every woman who seeks larger breasts. In general terms, ideal candidates for breast augmentation possess the following characteristics:
- You are dissatisfied by the size, shape or overall appearance of your breasts
- You are in good physical health and have fully developed breasts
- You have realistic expectations about the procedure
- You are pursuing breast augmentation for your own happiness
Your consultation will ensure that you are suited for breast augmentation and include a conversation about your aesthetic aspirations. Your plastic surgeon will work closely with you to develop an individualized plan based on your goals and physique.
Beyond Size: Breast Augmentation Benefits
For many women, the decision to pursue breast augmentation includes practical considerations about the appearance and feel of the breasts. Breast enhancement surgery may be used to:
- Enlarge small breasts that appear disproportionate with one’s overall body
- Align and provide balance to breasts that appear asymmetrical
- Restore breast profile and volume lost with age, or following childbirth or substantial weight loss
- Revise a previous breast procedure
- Recondition the appearance of the breasts after a mastectomy to complement breast reconstruction
Breast augmentation can instill a renewed sense of self-confidence by bringing the breasts into equilibrium and providing a more youthful look.
Types of Breast Implants
There are three primary forms of breast implants, each of which has unique advantages in terms of form and feel:
- Saline breast implants: Saline implants are filled with a sterilized, salt-water solution after the implants are placed, which allows for a minimal incision and precise control of volume. FDA-approved saline breast implants are available for women 18 and older.
- Silicone breast implants: Silicone implants are prefilled with a stable gel and offer a more natural feel than saline implants. Silicone implants are available in a variety of sizes and profiles to suit different body types. Silicone breast implants are available to women 22 and older.
- Form-stable breast implants: Often referred to as gummy bear implants, form-stable implants also use a silicone-based gel, but one that is firm and cohesive. Form-stable implants feature an elongated shape that more closely resembles a natural breast. Gummy bear implants are available to women 22 and older.
Among these basic breast implant types are varying styles that differ by shape, size, profile and texture. Your Long Island plastic surgeon will discuss these options with you in detail to find the right breast implant type for your desired results.
Placement of Breast Implants
There are different methods for placing breast implants, the most common of which include:
- Submuscular placement: The breast implants are inserted below the pectoral muscles
- Subglandular placement: The breast implants are located beneath the breast tissue and above the pectoral muscles
- Dual plane placement: The upper portions of the implants are partially under the pectoral muscles while the lower areas reside under the breast tissue
Although submuscular placement is the most common, there is no single best placement method for everyone. Your surgeon will recommend an approach based on your aesthetic goals and individual physical factors including your breast size, the density of your chest muscles and the thickness of your breast tissue.
Incision Options for Breast Implants
As with breast implants and their placement, there are multiple choices when it comes to the incision types used to insert and position the implants. These options include:
- Inframammary: The incisions are made under the folds of the breasts, which helps conceal the minor incision scars following breast augmentation
- Periareolar: The incisions are made around the areolas, where the change in skin tone coloration hides the incision scars
- Transaxillary: The incisions are made in the armpits, which masks the scars
Again, there is no “right” choice for everyone. The best incision option depends on a number of individual physical characteristics, as well as the type and size of the breast implants being used.
The plastic surgeons at Precision Medical Arts are dedicated to your satisfaction and will take the time to ensure that you understand your choices, have realistic expectations regarding your procedure and feel good about your decision. Please contact Precision Medical Arts today to schedule your private consultation.